This collection of children's books originally belonged to the Baines Family, and was given in 1955 by Miss Eyre to the Ministry of Education, whose successor, the Department for Education, deposited the Collection with the Institute in 1992.
Although there are a few foreign language items, most of the books are in English. There are both story books and books of general knowledge prepared for children's recreation and instruction in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Size: about 200 items
Dates: c.1700 - 1920
Accrual policy: Closed
Reference only. By prior arrangement with the Special Collections Librarian. Contact the Library Enquiry Desk in the first instance
This collection is listed in the Library Catalogue.