Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Step 1. Install Zotero Standalone
1. Go to the Zotero website.
2. Register (note your username and password).
3. Download the latest version for your operating system (Windows, MacOS or Linux) following the onscreen instructions.
Tip! Zotero will update automatically as and when the software designers make changes.
Step 2. Install connector
Step 3: Zotfile
- If you want to extract the text that you have highlighted on a PDF file, you will need to download a Zotero plugin called ZotFile.
- Download the file and save it to your desktop.
- Open Zotero, go to Tools and select Install Add-on From File.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Re-start Zotero.
- Check to see that ZotFile Preferences appears under Tools. If it appears in the list, you have successfully installed the plug-in.
Step 4: Word Plugin
- Zotero Standalone should automatically download the MSWord plugin but if it does not do this, follow the instructions outlined below:
1. Go to Preferences.
2. Select Cite and select the Word Processors tab.
3. Select Install Microsoft Word Add-in (or Install LibreOffice Add-in if you are using Libre).
4. Finally, make sure you tick the checkbox Use classic Add Citation dialog.
5. Next, open up MSWord and check to see that you have Zotero as one of the options on the menu-bar at the top of the page.