Your Twitter account is your public face so
- Don't tweet anything that is not appropriate for public consumption as your tweets will remain on cyberspace in some form or another even after they have been deleted;
- Do not over re-tweet as Twitter will consider this as spamming;
- Do block followers who send you inappropriate content - and report them to Twitter;
- Do respond to tweets that are sent to you directly as this shows a willingness to participate in an online community of followers; and finally,
- Do add a little personal touch :) We are, after all, human and the human interest stories will draw users to you!